Pressure cookers are a part of almost every kitchen in India. It is the most common kitchen appliance which is available in every other household for cooking.
But what exactly a pressure cookers do?
A pressure cooker is a convenient kitchen utensil which decreases the cooking time, especially if you are a working individual.
Apart from saving time, pressure cookers also have other benefits like –it requires less water to cook than other cooking types. So, the food cooking in it will retain more nutrition. As the food will not be exposed to air while cooking, nutrients will not get oxidized.
The name of some of the best pressure cookers brands in India are Prestige, Hawkins, Butterfly, Pigeon, and so on.
Thinks To Look For While Buying A Pressure Cooker
Outer Lid or Inner Lid –These lid options are suitable for direct vessel cooking. But if you are using separators or idli stand, then the outer lid is the right choice.
Capacity –Most of the pressure cookers in India come in a range between 0.5 L to 9 L. The capacity of 3 litres is sufficient for a family with 3 to 4 members. 5 Litres capacity is good enough to cook food for 5 to 7 members. So, it is better to choose according to your family size.
Material –Stainless steel, aluminium and anodized aluminium are commonly used materials. Stainless steel and Hard anodized and stainless steel are a better choice as they don’t react with any acid released during the cooking process.
Best Pressure Cookers In India- 2020
After thorough research and reviewing with several users, we have picked out the 5 Best Selling Pressure Cookers in India.
1. Prestige Deluxe Alpha Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker
Price- INR 2,849, Ratings- 4 Stars
Prestige is a renowned brand when it comes to pressure cookers since its debut back in 1995.
The material of the pressure cooker is made up of stainless steel.
- The handles of this cooker are well-insulated and has double screws for comfort.
- It has a highly durable stainless steel body that provides sturdiness
- It has Convenient pressure indicator and Alpha Base induction bottom
- Comes with a Well-controlled GRS and Euroclad induction base
- Colour: Silver, Material: Stainless Steel, Lid Type: Outer Lid
It is available in 3L and 5 L.
- Comes with high durability and high toughness
- has an 3 level system of safety
- Easy Locking Mechanism
- Resistant to corrosion
- ISI mark for quality and safety
- 10 years warranty
- Suitable on both Induction and LPG Gas Stove
Heavy to hold
2. Prestige Deluxe Plus Mini Induction Base Hard Anodized Pressure Handis
Price- INR 1,907, Ratings- 4 Stars
It is compatible with the induction cooktops.
- It has a hard anodised induction base.
- 3.3 litres of capacity which has an outer lid.
- 5 years of warranty
- BASE: Prestige Deluxe Duo+ HA base is Stainless steel perforated (holes) plate, machine pressed to Aluminium cooker base. It has a unique base which gives assurance of evenly heat distribution.
- BODY: It is an outer lid pressure cooker made from virgin aluminium which is hard anodised for aesthetic looks and long-lasting durability. The Handi shape of the body makes it ideal for cooking a variety of Indian cuisines. The outer lid is made up of stainless steel.
- It has a precision weight valve which comes under the first level of a safety feature which helps in taking out any pressure which is above 1kg/cm2. Hence making the cooking quick and easy
- It comes with a controlled gasket system which comes under 2nd level of safety especially in Prestige cookers. This makes it easy and safe to use.
- The sturdy handles with flame guard provide extra grip and comfort, making it ideal for regular use and durability.
Comes with 3.3 L and 4.8 L of capacity
- It does not react with food
- Induction friendly
3. Hawkins Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker
Price- INR 2,421, Ratings- 4.5 Stars
Made of high grade stainless steel, Hawkins pressure cooker has always been a preferred choice for Indian kitchens.
- Can cook for 3 to 4 persons ideally.
- It is compatible with induction stove cooktop.
- Make sure this fits by entering your model number
- The Contura has a unique body with rounded sides for easier stirring, better visibility and easy removal of food
- The body and lid are made from superior grade aisi 304 non-magnetic stainless steel
- The cooker has an external base of aisi 430-grade magnetic stainless steel which makes it induction compatible
- Base flat diameter: 131 mm
Comes with 1.5L, 2L, 3L AND 5L
- Shaped for easy stirring
- Do not react with food
- Brand quality is topmost
Lid needs more care to handle
4. Butterfly Blue Line Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker
Like Prestige, Butterfly is also a renowned and established brand when we about home appliances and the Butterfly Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker is its flagship product.
Price- INR 2,149, Ratings- 4 Stars
- Ergonomically and Aesthetically designed, easy-grip, stay-cool handle
- Handle with special lock arrangement for uni-directional rotation, Dishwasher Safe: Yes
- Specially formulated food -grade rubber gasket for longer life and Gasket release system for safety
- Comes with a rubber gasket for longer life and Gasket release system for safety.
- It is fast and works energy efficiently.
- Weight is accurately designed for faster cooking.
- It has a thick base for faster cooking.
- Peel proof, induction compatible base
5L and medium size are available
- Rubber Gasket lasts longer
- easy to clean, cleans efficiently
It is Heavy to hold
5. Hawkins Futura Hard Anodised Induction Compatible Pressure
Finally, we have Hawkins Futura Pressure cookers in the list. The reason for putting it in the fifth place is its high price. Hawkins always has an edge over other brands when it comes to pressure cookers.
Price- 3.728, Ratings- 4 Stars
- Hard anodised body and lid: non-reactive with food; will not tarnish, will look new for years
- Base 6.35 mm thick: stays flat, heats evenly and is ideal for light frying before pressure cooking
- Induction models available in 2 Litre, 3 Litre, 4 Litre, 5 Litre, 6 Litre
- Super-fast – 46 per cent faster than a microwave oven; Fingertip steam release
- Package Contents: 1 – Pressure Cooker Lid, 1 – Rubber Gasket, 1 – Vent Weight, 1 – Guarantee Card, 1 – Cookbook, 1 – Cleaning Brush, 1 – Service Centre Directory, 1 – Cooker Body, 1 – Grid
- Warranty: 5 years on product
Available in 2L, 3L, 4L, 5L AND 6L
- Hard anodised body
- cooks fast, saves time
Body is prone to scratches, use non abrasive scrub to wash the cooker.
This buying guide and an overall review will make your job of choosing a cooker according to your needs easy.
Also Read- Best Top Loading Washing Machines In India